Wednesday, July 20, 2016

A Little Upcycling

Our school has a special spot each summer where people can put chairs, desks, cabinets, etc. that they no longer want in their classrooms - in turn, other teachers can go through this space and see what gems they might need for their classroom. Over the years I've gotten a pretty nice set of "rolling chairs" so when kids are working on desktop computers in my room, they have a more comfortable chair.  I've also picked up a podium, a round table to use with my yearbook students, etc. You see, this spot is right outside my classroom...so it's like begging me to take something each time I walk by.

I was determined NOT to pick up anything this summer...

Well, I got a TV as a replacement for my SMART board at the end of the school year last year, and found out over the summer that it would be best to use my laptop with the new TV. I had been using my laptop last year with the TV, and didn't really have a good spot to put it - other than my podium, and that was asking for trouble.

Enter the perfect sized desk...


The desk is the perfect size to hold my laptop and also to put the student inbox/stapler/three-hole punch (which gets those off of my desk). The only trouble is, I didn't really like the top of the desk - and felt like it needed a makeover.  

Enter $6 and two rolls of contact paper I picked up at the store.  While the chevron on the front was a little tricky - to make sure that it matched up, the whole project took me about 30 minutes from start to finish.  I'm trying to decide if I am going to put any more details, but I really like the way it turned out!


Can't wait to use it once school starts! 


No comments:

Post a Comment